Chicago, IL-- Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced his effort to ramrod new gun control legislation statewide. The mayor wants to force all law-abiding handgun owners to pay hefty fees. He wants to begin registering and titling handguns like automobiles.
The mayor wants to reduce a Constitutional Right to a licensed privilege.
He claims this will somehow help police solve crimes. The suggestion that this will reduce violence is not supported by any studies or experience within this or any other nation on earth.
I guess The mayor forgot the City of Chicago already has a gun registration program under a vigorous and very expensive challenges in federal court.
The misguided mayor does not know or have even a clue about the following facts:
1. Two US Supreme Court decisions specifically exempted felons from being prosecuted for failing to register a firearm. The requirement violates their rights against self-incrimination.
2. Firearms are simply not left at crime scenes unless a perpetrator is caught, wounded or killed. Tracing such a gun is always worthless to investigators. Gun traces simply never result in arrests or prosecutions.
3. Yet another government bureaucracy must be established. The Illinois State Police are so overloaded now they cannot process the FOID cards that register gun owners.
4. This information is a privacy invasion that historically ends in confiscation schemes in every despotic government.
5. This is just another salvo being fired by gun rights haters against the Constitution of the United States.
6. This is no different than a Poll Tax. Forcing people to pay in order to enjoy a right is dead wrong.
If you live in the State of Illinois call Mayor Emanuel at (312) 744-3300 and tell him how you feel about his latest effort. Then call your state representatives and Senator in Springfield.